Do you have an event and need to add a flyer for site visitors to download? Maybe you need a link to other content on the web? What might seem to be a single task, is really multiple tasks pieced together. This post provides the step-by-step instructions for each of those tasks so that you can create a link to download a document (Creating a link to download brochures or flyers) or to view content elsewhere on the web (click here to view my latest newsletter.)
Downloadable content is just a fancy way of referring to any type of information you want visitors to be able to download. This could be a flyer, brochure, manual, newsletter, or any other file. Whatever you want your visitors to download, remember that not everyone has the same software that you do. For this reason, we strongly recommend ALWAYS using PDFs for downloads.
- Create the file on your computer using the software of your choice.
- Save or print it to a PDF on your computer.
Upload your file
- Go to Site Admin
- Click on the Upload News Doc button under Other Administration Links
- Fill out the form, then click Upload Start.
- Click on the Browse button.
- Navigate to the file to be uploaded and select the file. Once the file has been selected, you may need to click the Open button.
- Click on the Use this File button.
- You will receive a File Uploading message. This will disappear when the file upload has finished. If you receive a failure message, your upload did not succeed.
- Once you see the message that the upload has succeeded, copy ALL of the address that begins “clubdocs/…”.
- Continue filling out the form
- Submit your work when you are done filling out the form.
Replacing a previous version of the same file
If you have a link to a file and find that you need to upload a new version, the replacement can be done simply by uploading a new version of the file that has EXACTLY the same name. Be aware that even capitalization counts! If your original file is named “mycoolflyer.pdf” and you upload a new version with the name “MyCoolFlyer.pdf”, the server will see these as two different files.
Once you have a file with the exact same name ready to upload, follow the steps under “Upload your file” and the link should automatically go to the new file.
Troubleshooting: If you do upload a new version of the file and the link continues to show the old version, your file name is probably different from the original.
Creating the link
The next step will be to create the link in your news story. For this example, we’re going to assume that the link will be in your Home page text. You could just as easily place this link in a new news story or any other existing news story. To create the link, do the following:
- In News and Doc Admin, click on the link for the news story where you want to create the link.
- Scroll down to the text editor, then position your cursor exactly where you want to link to appear in the text.
- Highlight the text to be made into a link. (If you don’t already have this text, simply type the text you want to use as the link, i.e., “click here to download our flyer.”
- Click the link icon in the text editor
- Paste in the text you copied in Step 8 of “Upload your file” into the URL field.
- Click the “Target” tab and select “New Window.”
- Click “OK”
- Submit your work.
If you run into problems, let us know and we’ll be happy to help. If you have questions about how to best promote your event, we’re happy to provide suggestions for that also.